Summer is in full force. Here are some tips to help beat the heat and stay on track with your health.
1. Workout in the morning. A morning workout routine will ramp your body full of endorphins to help jump-start the day. Avoid exercising outside from 10 am to 2 pm when the sun is directly overhead. Mid-day heat can kill energy levels and increase the risk of heat stroke or dehydration.
2. Stay hydrated. Drinking water should be a regular part of your day, but it is especially important during summer. (See our delicious hydration recipe above). Extreme temperatures cause our bodies to lose water faster. We should drink water even if we don't feel thirsty in the summer to prevent the risk of dehydration
3. Wear sunscreen, even if you're only outside briefly. Aging skin is an accumulation of years of sun damage. Your skin is at risk even when walking from your car to work. Wear at least a 30 SPF on exposed skin. If you're working or playing outside, reapply every four hours.
4. Shop at the farmer's market. Clean eating is so easy when you have access to local produce and summer is a great time of year to find an abundance of fruits, vegetables and herbs. Plus you'll be supporting the community and avoiding most of the pesticides and chemicals used in grocery store produce.
5. Take advantage of the grill. Grilling fruits and veggies for a delicious way to increase your antioxidants while avoiding those unhealthy compounds. If you go for meat, reduce your grill time using skewers. You can have a complete meal on one stick.